We interviewed our Singing teachers and asked them for 7 top tips to get the best out of your voice and here they are:
1. Ensure you are not overusing your voice – Activities such as shouting, screaming, and in fact singing too loud could damage your vocal chords (use your inside voice only).
2. It is so important when singing to make sure you drink plenty of water. Your vocal chords vibrate very fast and drinking plenty of water helps to keep them lubricated.
3. To get the correct posture for singing you must stand up straight with your feet positioned shoulder-width apart, relax your shoulders and neck, and avoid tensing your body. This will help you control your breathing better and get the best sound from your voice and performance.
4. Warming up before singing gives your muscles a chance to loosen up and relax. Releasing tension from the body and voice also reduces the change of injury to your voice.
5. When singing use your face. Try to keep facial muscles relaxed, to allow more resonating space until it comes to showing expressions. Remember your lips, mouth, and cheek positions can enhance many sounds that are created when singing.
6. Make sure you rest and get enough sleep. Depriving your body of relaxation affects the whole body, including muscles that are used in singing such as your diaphragm and larynx.
7. At least 2 hours before a performance you should avoid certain foods and drinks including chocolate, dairy, caffeine, spices, fizzy drinks, and alcohol.
All these tips came from our fantastic vocal teachers here at the Music Gym. If you would like lessons or a taster session to meet with our teachers and understand more about singing and how to get the best out of your voice then please email email@example.com